1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Default Swollen fingers/cold hands

Blog Entries
    Been a while since I started a thread!

In the winter my girlfriend gets very cold hands/feet, she always has. Recently (this winter and last) her finger joints swell and the skin cracks on them.

When she is cold they ache and when she gets warmer they get really hot and itchy.

She had a load of tests done last winter and the results came back negative for everything so they sent her off with a prescription for diclofenac.

I know medical advce is banned on the forums, I'm not asking for that. What I'm loking for is supplements to help rheumatism (what I suspect it might be) and poor circulation.

I was thinking Gingko Biloba? Maybe arginine or something like that would help also?

Her diet is pretty good, so I dont think she wold have a deficiency of any type.
    MP Senior

I have the exact same thing which is a form of dermatitis, in the past lavender gel has helped calm this but in extream weather she may be better to consult a doctor for a cream to soothe the symptoms.
    Please Use MP152150 to get something off.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today

Blog Entries
    Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by Bebop1980 View Post
    I have the exact same thing which is a form of dermatitis, in the past lavender gel has helped calm this but in extream weather she may be better to consult a doctor for a cream to soothe the symptoms.
    Interesting, so I may be barking up the wrong tree thinking its rheumatism then. I'll look into it, thanks!
    MP Veteran

Blog Entries
    off topic, my gym has no central heating and its getting awfully cold, this has def negatively influenced my lifting, cant seem to get warmth in the hands even after an hour of lifting, I know gloves are the obv solution but im skint and prefer not to use them, anyone else have the same issue?
    5% OFF: MP43589

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by khris View Post
    off topic, my gym has no central heating and its getting awfully cold, this has def negatively influenced my lifting, cant seem to get warmth in the hands even after an hour of lifting, I know gloves are the obv solution but im skint and prefer not to use them, anyone else have the same issue?
    Yeh i do as well Khris. Ministry is in a warehouse with no heating and the shutters are usually open so its usually 0 or below in there. Basically its like we are lifting outside haha. Layer up is my advice. I wear 4 layers when im in there. Im going to invest in some subarmour heat gear to trap that warmth in.

As for the hands you just have to deal with it. Forget gloves.
    Useful Links:
    MP Veteran

Diclofenac is an anti-inflammatory (often sold as voltarol), I found it was great in allowing my back to recover from injury, but I wouldn't want to take it long term. As a prescription it sounds like a guess and at best treating the symptoms rather than the cause. I'd look for a second opinion.
    --
    My Training - Training Log
    MP239490 for a 5% discount on your first order.

Blog Entries
    Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    Diclofenac is an anti-inflammatory (often sold as voltarol), I found it was great in allowing my back to recover from injury, but I wouldn't want to take it long term. As a prescription it sounds like a guess and at best treating the symptoms rather than the cause. I'd look for a second opinion.
    Yeah, I thought exactly the same to be honest mate. Certainly not treating the cause! NSAID's never do.
    Glasgow's Most Trendy

My dad has a pretty sever rheumatoid condition. There is a certain LEAF from a PLANT that he uses to relieve the pain. You may struggle to find it in the shops though. The name escapes me right now. :| its definetely not a WEED though. When he first started using this treatment he went from barely getting out of his chair to running up and down stairs.

Other than that hot baths, handwarmers and avoiding the cold seem to help. He still uses the standard ibroprofen and paricetimol too but the aforementioned herbal solution is often the best solution.

Hopefully this is helpful.
    Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.
    For 5% off use this code! MP38237

Blog Entries
    Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by comanight2 View Post
    My dad has a pretty sever rheumatoid condition. There is a certain LEAF from a PLANT that he uses to relieve the pain. You may struggle to find it in the shops though. The name escapes me right now. :| its definetely not a WEED though. When he first started using this treatment he went from barely getting out of his chair to running up and down stairs.

Other than that hot baths, handwarmers and avoiding the cold seem to help. He still uses the standard ibroprofen and paricetimol too but the aforementioned herbal solution is often the best solution.

Hopefully this is helpful.
    lol. The pain isn't that bad. It's just annoying. I have a few horse chestnuts nearby, I'll feed her the leaves from those.
    Glasgow's Most Trendy

haha well we can be glad of that atleast :P

btw these can help too Sporting Triangle's Buffshop
    Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.
    For 5% off use this code! MP38237

Thread Information