1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Closed Thread
  1. Default What's the shelf life of whey protein powder?

Hi people,

I'm soon to be placing an order for some whey protein. I was just wondering if anybody knew the shelf life of whey protein since I want to take advantage of the bulk buy discounts, however I won't if it's going to go off before I have used it all.

To give you a bit more info, I will most likely purchase 5kg at a time, which I have calculated will last 83 days if following the recommended dosage guidelines of 2x30g servings per day. Will the protein last for 83 days or will it go off?

Thanks,

Ryan
    MP Veteran

Hi there Ryan!

If you kept the powder sealed in its original container, in the dark and somewhere dry as well as cool the shelf-life would probably be measurable in years not weeks. No joke!

If you kept it sealed in a commercial freezer (minus 30 C say) its shelf life would be virtually indefinite.

The main thing is to keep the stuff dry. Bacteria cannot degrade the material without sufficient water. Likewise temperature, every 10 degree drop in temperature halves a rection rate. Once the temp drops to about 3 degrees centigrade bacterial growth pretty well stops.

Keeping the stuff sealed means that oxidation is pretty well minimal too.

I've used amino acids, whey and egg white powder three years out of date just by watching the storage conditions. They were fine when I finally opened the tubs!!

Obviously you will be opening the tub every day, so why not order a spare (smaller) one and decant half the material into it and put it in the fridge/garage/hallway/garden shed etc? That way each tub will only be exposed to oxygen, moisture, heat, light etc 41 and a half days!!

Hope this proves helpful!!

Thanks for clearing that up for me, much appreciated. Just wanted to be sure.
  4. Question Impact Whey Protein & Sucralose Shelf Life

** Junior

Hi guys

Apologies for hitching on the back of an existing thread but I just had one extra question regarding shelf-lives...

I'm due to buy some more Protein Powder this week (Impact Whey Protein flavoured with Choc. Smoot) and am about to order 10kg's of it to take advantage of the bulk discounts also.

I'm a less regular user of the stuff, approx 7 servings a week on average so obviously the shelf life will need to be longer for my purposes' after reading your previous posts however I'm not worried about this as the protein will (presumably) be delivered in 10 x 1kg sealed bags and only need to be opened one at a time.
    The thing I am concerned about is that the flavouring, I am informed when ordering, is packaged separately for self-mixing at home when ordering in these quantities and so this will need to survive the life all 10kg's of my protein powder (approx 9 months give or take some variation in my dietary needs) - just wondering if anybody had any opinions on the longevity of the Choc. Smooth flavouring and Sucralose sweetener once opened and any tips for maximising its shelf life?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!

Leigh.
    MP Administrator

Hi,

Usually on orders of 10kg+ we don't always pre-blend, however drop sales an email and we will see what we can do! A 10kg whey order would usually come in 2 x 5kg bags or tubs.

MP

http://www.myprotein.com

The Home of Sports Nutrition

Who supports Myprotein?

For any ordering questions or issues please use our helpdesk.

Disclaimer: All posts on these forums are for information and discussion purposes only and solely the views of the forum member who posted. No posts constitute or replace medical advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All advice is followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research or doctors advice.

it'd be aobut a year or even more. MP usually stat the best before on the tub/bag when you get it.
    Sponsored by Subsports compression gear
    http://www.subsports.co.uk/

You want it? You've gotta work for it!

It only matters if your mind lets it

Save money with me, use MP18695 code and get 5% off your order!

Click here to view my top rated home made protein flapjack recipe. My homemade Sandbags. My training: dope540s road to world domination!

Disclaimer: All posts on these forums are for information and discussion purposes only and solely the views of the forum member who posted. No posts constitute or replace medical advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All advice is followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research or doctors advice.

dope540 is a Training and Diet Moderator.
    MP Veteran

Again, if you're worried and can spare the space the fridge or freezer will keep it all fresh for as long as you want.
    The Moderate Moderator

Wotan is a Super Moderator.

Thread Information