1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
  1. Default Isoleucine and L-Leucine?

kp1512
    Whats the diff between the two?...Has anyone taken them if there dif products?

I see that the chemical name and makeup is different..?

Reason why I ask is that many across the pond have been using Iso with greater results then standard L-Leucine.......? or so they claim

KP
    ** Senior

don't really know much about them mate but i've read what people have posted on this forum and i think leucine is the most anabolic, more so than the other two bcaa isoleucine and valine. I take bcaa + leucine before and during WO, i believe it helps prevent muscle breakdown.

cheers mat
    Teetotal

Quote Quote
    Isoleucine

Isoleucine is an amino acid that is best known for its ability to increase endurance and help heal and repair muscle tissue and encourage clotting at the site of injury. This amino acid is especially important to serious athletes and body builders because its primary function in the body is to boost energy and help the body recover from strenuous physical activity.

Isoleucine is a branched-chain amino acid (BCAA). There are three branched-chain amino acids in the body, isoleucine, valine, and leucine, and all of them help promote muscle recovery after exercise. Isoleucine is actually broken down for energy within the muscle tissue. Is also keeps energy levels stable by helping to regulate blood sugar; a deficiency of isoleucine produces symptoms similar to those of hypoglycemia, and may include headaches, dizziness, fatigue, depression, confusion, and irritability.

Isoleucine is an essential acid, which means that it cannot be manufactured in the body and must be obtained through dietary sources. Good sources of isoleucine include high-protein foods, such as nuts, seeds, meat, eggs, fish, lentils, peas, and soy protein. People that exercise a lot or that have a low-protein diet should consider supplementation. Isoleucine is also available in stand-alone supplemental form, but should always be taken together with the other two branched-chain amino acids, leucine and valine. The ideal balance is 2 milligrams of leucine and valine for each 1 milligram of isoleucine. Combination supplements that provide all three of the BCAAs may be more convenient.

People with impaired liver or kidney function should not take isoleucine without first consulting a physician, as large doses of amino acids may aggravate these conditions.
    Quote Quote

Leucine

Leucine works with the amino acids isoleucine and valine to repair muscles, regulate blood sugar, and provide the body with energy. It also increases production of growth hormones, and helps burn visceral fat, which is located in the deepest layers of the body and the least responsive to dieting and exercise.

Leucine, isoleucine, and valine are branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs), and all three of them help promote muscle recovery after exercise. Leucine is the most effective BCAA for preventing muscle loss because it breaks down and is converted to glucose more quickly than isoleucine and valine. Increased glucose supplies prevent the body’s cannibalization of muscle for energy during intense workouts, so it is no surprise that this amino acid supplement is popular among professional body builders. Leucine also promotes the healing of bones, skin, and muscle tissue after traumatic injury, and is often recommended for those recovering from surgery.

Because it is so easily converted to glucose, leucine helps to regulate blood sugar; a deficiency of leucine produces symptoms similar to those of hypoglycemia, which may include headaches, dizziness, fatigue, depression, confusion, and irritability.

Natural sources of leucine include brown rice, beans, meat, nuts, soy flour, and whole wheat. Leucine is an essential amino acid, which means that it cannot be manufactured in the body and must be obtained through dietary sources. People that exercise a lot, have a low-protein diet, or are seriously trying to build muscle mass should consider leucine supplementation. Leucine is also available in stand-alone supplemental form, but should always be taken together with the other two branched-chain amino acids, isoleucine and valine. The ideal balance is 2 milligrams of leucine and valine for each 1 milligram of isoleucine. Combination supplements that provide all three of the BCAAs may be more convenient.

An excessively high intake of leucine has also been linked to the development of pellagra, a deficiency of the vitamin niacin that causes dermatitis, diarrhea, and mental disorders. Too much leucine in the diet can disrupt liver and kidney function and increase the amount of ammonia in the body. People with impaired liver or kidney function should not take isoleucine without first consulting a physician, as large doses of amino acids may aggravate these conditions.
    http://www.vitaminstuff.com/amino-acids.html

I believe there's something extra from Isoleucine and Valine as I tried just Leucine on it's own and I wouldn't rate it as good as BCAA's. Definately had more energy, better recovery and less DOM's when using the 3 of them compared to Leucine alone.
    Last edited by Bison; 14-06-2007 at 07:57 PM.
    MP5500 for 5% off first order!
    Training Journal - My Pic's
    kp1512
    Thanks for that Bison! Really appreciate it.

Def think BCAA and EAA's are the way.

Be interesting to see what high dosing them would do.

Charles Pol has some interesting findings on 30g a day during W/O, but how true his findings are only experience can tell.
    Last edited by kp1512; 14-06-2007 at 08:08 PM.

Well, all the BCAAs are EAAs, but EAAs also include methionine, histidine, threonine, phenylalanine, tryptophan, and lysine, so if MP sold an EAA powder, i tpossibly could be superior to taking BCAA's. Im not sure though - i'd have to look into it more.
    MP Code MP2931 for 5% off first order - and make daddy some money ...

I dont need to sell my soul, he's already in me
    Stone Roses - "I Wanna Be Adored"

Disclaimer: All posts on these forums are for information and discussion purposes only and solely the views of the forum member who posted. No posts constitute or replace medical advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All advice is followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research or doctors advice.

hailtotheking is a Global Moderator.
    kp1512
    Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by hailtotheking View Post
    Well, all the BCAAs are EAAs, but EAAs also include methionine, histidine, threonine, phenylalanine, tryptophan, and lysine, so if MP sold an EAA powder, i tpossibly could be superior to taking BCAA's. Im not sure though - i'd have to look into it more.
    thats correct mate. EAA are extensively used now in the Hi Intensity trainee arena. The protocol being followed by many is

a)BCAA immediately PWO, followed by EAA 30 mins later

b) EAA before during and after workouts.

KP

Cheers KP

Hmm, im definately interested in getting some EAA powder.

I read an t-nation interview with Dr. Eric Serrano, a high level sports nutritionist:

"Dr. Serrano: I have research now using amino acids for various purposes such as cancer, infertility, and of course, recovery. In the latter case, we took seven subjects and gave five of them free-form amino acids (FFAA) pre and post-workout as well as between meals (Protocol A). The other two received FFAA only pre and post-workout, not between meals (Protocol B).
    We measured things like strength, energy levels, soreness, and appetite which generally reflect recovery. And by the way, we also gauged these levels before they started this little experiment so we could determine if there was indeed a difference. And let me tell you, there was a difference. A big difference, actually, particularly for the group taking FFAAs between meals as well (Protocol A). All parameters improved significantly!
    JPC: Which FFAAs did you use and at what dosage?
    Dr. Serrano: Okay, it was a combination of high dose branch-chain amino acids and all eight essential amino acids. No non-essential aminos were used.
    The dosage was the subject's bodyweight in kilograms multiplied by 0.15 in divided doses for Protocol A or half that dose pre-workout and the other half post-workout for Protocol B. "
    MP Code MP2931 for 5% off first order - and make daddy some money ...

I dont need to sell my soul, he's already in me
    Stone Roses - "I Wanna Be Adored"

Disclaimer: All posts on these forums are for information and discussion purposes only and solely the views of the forum member who posted. No posts constitute or replace medical advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All advice is followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research or doctors advice.

hailtotheking is a Global Moderator.

Thread Information