1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by NU_nutrition_TS View Post
    Thanks, David. I've just gone back and read what you wrote in that thread about l-glutamine and acne: that it improved your skin condition, but if you had too much it made it worse. This may be down to the fact that this particular amino acid [along with several of the others] are what is termed glucogenic amino acids. It is these that, if in excess, can be converted to glucose by the process of gluconeogenesis. So again, excess glucose produced and dumped into the circulation will spike insulin and possibly cause an acne flare-up. Same goes with protein supplements...if you are having protein in excess, the amino acids liberated may well end up as glucose rather than muscle tissue!
    Very interesting thoughts mate. Thanks for these insights.
    ** Senior Excecutive

To prevent acne, first of all cut back on any high GI carbs, thus dextrose/glucose/fructose and maltodextrin after a workout shoud be avoided, and switch to low GI carbs such as Scottish Oats.

In regards to whey protein, unlike MP some manufactures use ion exchange whey protein isolate, which has been proven to contain denatured fractions of whey, which will cause acne and furthermore will be a waste of protein.

I personally use scottish oats and a combo of egg white, whey protein isolates and concentrates and casesin. this sustaine release formula will not flactuate yor insulin levels and cause acne. Furthermore try addind fish oils and flaxseed oil to your diet which besides numerous other reported benefits will reduce acne and improve overall skin condtion, such as scars and stretch marks as well. As tribes which consume loads of fish never get acne.

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by yazsas View Post
    To prevent acne, first of all cut back on any high GI carbs, thus dextrose/glucose/fructose and maltodextrin after a workout shoud be avoided, and switch to low GI carbs such as Scottish Oats.

In regards to whey protein, unlike MP some manufactures use ion exchange whey protein isolate, which has been proven to contain denatured fractions of whey, which will cause acne and furthermore will be a waste of protein.

I personally use scottish oats and a combo of egg white, whey protein isolates and concentrates and casesin. this sustaine release formula will not flactuate yor insulin levels and cause acne. Furthermore try addind fish oils and flaxseed oil to your diet which besides numerous other reported benefits will reduce acne and improve overall skin condtion, such as scars and stretch marks as well. As tribes which consume loads of fish never get acne.
    Just thought I'd return to this thread.

This is a great post.

Interestingly, I do all of the above recommendations, and would recommend them to anyone seeking to lead a healthful lifestyle, and also to reduce any skin/acne related issues.

In terms of my current protein supplementation, I'd heartily recommend any of the following to trainees seeking extra protein intake, but who are wary of exacerbating annoying acne conditions:

* Egg White Powder
    * Whole Egg Powder
    * Brown Rice Protein
    * Organic Hemp Protein
    * Pea Protein (Gack! My personal opinion is that this tastes worse that Brown Rice Protein. Opinions on this vary though -- I have seen a few people post the opposite view.)

I can't vouch for Soy Protein Isolate, as I have never tried this product.

Hope that is useful to some people.
    Last edited by david__001; 21-06-2008 at 01:00 AM.
    ** Junior

I am also looking for a protein supplement which is low in lactose and found this thread very interesting!

I was just wondering whether the new true whey would be an option? I know it contains both WPC80 and WPI but as they both sound like they are low in lactose maybe it could be alright?

Any advice would be appreciated! Cheers
    Save 5% use MP19206

No it wouldnt be, it would obviously have a little less lactose than regular impact whey, but is by no means a lactose intolerance option. Whey protein isolate is still the Whey choice for this.
    For 5% off your order use code MP19206 When ordering
    My NEW Journal here
    My CUTTING journal here
    5 Rep PBs -- Benchpress 85Kg -- Squat 150Kg -- Deadlift 160Kg
    MP Member

Since i changed my diet around about 7/8 months ago i've erupted in acne all over my shoulders, chest and forehead. I'm drinking like 1200ml of milk a day, 100g worth of whey and casein a day and having 50g of dextrose/maltodextrin on workout days. I'm 21, 5 foot 8 and 12 stone 8, trying to get to 13 stone by christmas consuming 3500 calories a day, 283g protein, 348g carbs, 116g fat. Do you's think this much protein, the milk and simple carbs pwo is what's made me break out? i've had mild amounts of acne for about 5 years but never as bad as it's been the last few months.
    ** Senior Excecutive

You are right Pannett, there is a known link between milk and acne. I myself have has great success in reducing acne since reducing my milk consumption to only 300ml in the morning. Also too much simple carbohydrates in one sitting can cause acne as well, so limit your maltodextrine/dextrose intake to just after workouts (50g max), the rest of the time have complex carbs.

Hope this helps.
    The ladder of success is never crowded at the top
    MP Member

Would switching to Whey Protein Isolate make any difference do you's think?
    MP Veteran

TBH, I get outbreaks on my back / face sometimes and changing to isolate didn't seem to affect them at all. I still got them as often.

Many say hygiene isn't link to spots/acne but I think using a good face wash in the morning and even definately helps ALOT. Dermalogica's special cleansing gel is good.
    MP25036 FOR 5% OFF YOUR FIRST ORDER
    MP Member

I use Nivea for men moisturising face wash and Nivea for men rehydrating moisturiser morning and night aswell as a coconut exfoliating face scrub twice a week and still i have spots on my face. I actually thought that it might be doing more harm than good using so many products so stopped using them for a month but it didn't make any difference at all infact i got more spots than usual.

It's since i've started eating healthier that i've got more spots which is weird, i've bulked up enough now anyway i've gone from 11 stone 2 to 12 stone 8 in 8 months so i'm gonna cut all the milk out of my diet and cut my calories down to try and get my body fat back down and hopefully the acne will calm down abit.

Thread Information