1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 99 of 347 FirstFirst ... 49 89 97 98 99 100 101 109 149 199 ... LastLast
Like Tree2105Likes

Thread: funb's training/stats/etc

MP Veteran

You're sounding proper pumped lady...good stuff!!! Haven't had much spare time to respond to your FB message yet but it sounds interesting, a few questions but will process and fire back when I have clear headspace.

Text me and let me know what time your train gets in on Saturday...I'm doing 2 MST sessions on Saturday now to hammer myself and I think we said we'd go for coffee after if you fancied joining us? I'll drop you back at the station. Looking forward to seeing how you find it really. Think you'll like it. Be different to the Cure for sure.
    MP Veteran

Looks like you're in a good place mentally for your training, which really is half the battle. I'm glad you're enjoying it!!!

I do low bar squats. I believe that when the weight gets heavier, it's easier to handle. I'm not sure of the muscle activation associated with it however. I do know that it's preference. I took a few friends to the gym the other week and they just couldn't get the bar sitting right. They hated it. I used to high bar squats but switched to low bar and prefer it completely.
    MP Senior

Nice one.

Depends what you are after, most high bar squatters will recommend high bar, low bar squatter low bar and it's even worse for people selling programs like starting strength because then apparently there is a "wrong way to squat". Total ********! Do what you are comfortable with, try out low bar and if you like it and progress with it keep it.

That said if you want to use more posterior chain in exercises there are other ones you can do not just low bar squats. It'll be interesting to see what your PT recommends .

The benching reminds me of this during the olympics (2mins in):

MP Senior

Low Bar vs High Bar Squatting | 70's Big

Read. There isn't much in it if you're going ATG w/high bar.
    MP Referral Code = MP606030 | Muscle & Strength Nutritional Pyramid
    MP Veteran

I start at high bar but seem to slip to low bar half way through!

oh, and good luck in the meeting funb
    MP Veteran

You guys all rock

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by MissVanda View Post
    Text me and let me know what time your train gets in on Saturday...I'm doing 2 MST sessions on Saturday now to hammer myself and I think we said we'd go for coffee after if you fancied joining us? I'll drop you back at the station. Looking forward to seeing how you find it really. Think you'll like it. Be different to the Cure for sure.
    I'm thinking of booking on a train that pulls into South Central at 8am so will probably just walk to WHS so I can get my LISS for the day in! I'll also need to dash off after as I have something on in the evening and I want to fit a snooze in after my 2 hr return trip. Sorry to be anti-social :-\ But yep, really looking forward to it now. I'm channelling Big Z :P

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by leemchisholm View Post
    I do low bar squats. I believe that when the weight gets heavier, it's easier to handle. I'm not sure of the muscle activation associated with it however. I do know that it's preference. I took a few friends to the gym the other week and they just couldn't get the bar sitting right. They hated it. I used to high bar squats but switched to low bar and prefer it completely.
    Yeah I'm not sure either, but I need to get my glutes and hammies involved somehow as they're just hanging on for the free ride currently.

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by Waterfield View Post
    Nice one.

Depends what you are after, most high bar squatters will recommend high bar, low bar squatter low bar and it's even worse for people selling programs like starting strength because then apparently there is a "wrong way to squat". Total ********! Do what you are comfortable with, try out low bar and if you like it and progress with it keep it.

That said if you want to use more posterior chain in exercises there are other ones you can do not just low bar squats. It'll be interesting to see what your PT recommends .

The benching reminds me of this during the olympics (2mins in):
    Indeedy. I'll ask him later and see what he says. That video is exactly what happens!! Arrrgh.

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by Ziltoid View Post
    Low Bar vs High Bar Squatting | 70's Big

Read. There isn't much in it if you're going ATG w/high bar.
    That link was awesome, thanks! I am doing ATG high bar, but I don't use my hamstrings or glutes at all

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by pb75 View Post
    I start at high bar but seem to slip to low bar half way through!

oh, and good luck in the meeting funb
    Thanks!
    MP Veteran

That's cool by me...offer is always there if you want it lady. See you Saturday then...woop woop!!!
    funb likes this.
    MP Veteran

If it's glute's you want get on the lunges When i first started lunges my posterior was painful i could hardly sit!

Just on the squat front as long as you are getting enough depth i think high bar and low bar will have similar ham and glute activation.
    MP Veteran

Romanian DLs work your hammies HARD!!!!!!!
    MP Veteran

Haha, don't worry guys - I am doing RDLs, hamstring curls, lunges, split squats yadda yadda yadda. Just trying to figure out my squat technique.

So last night I said to PT, what about low bar squats? And he said yeah good shout, let's try. So we did, and while the low bar squat feels easier, it's because the bar position encourages me to lean forward meaning I pretty much do a good morning - which is exactly what I am trying NOT to do. Curses. He said I could probably good morning 200kgs but can't squat my way out of a paper bag He also said that because my high bars are ATG anyway, it's not a big difference between low and high bar - good call, Ziltoid! And Reed20102021211!

So then I said, do I even need to squat at all? Because my technique is so bad, I am not actually working the legs, so what about concentrating on hitting the legs/glutes for a while rather than letting my lower back do my squatting for me. And he said yep and he'll work some butt stuff into my next program, and also some trap bar DLs (he is going to buy one for the gym soon as well as a few other toys).

On the diet front, I am changing to having a carb up once per week, woohoo! Looking forward to some fruit on Sunday \o/

Thread Information