1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: James' Log

MP Junior

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by James View Post
    Hi mate,

Great to hear from you - nothing written up acutely, all my old posts here I removed, too.

Feel free to ask any questions you want to know or pick my brains, however. How is life and training going? Still going career focused?

!
    Cheers James, I'll be in touch a little closer to the time when planning gets underway.

Life's good thanks. I enjoyed a couple of years living in Manchester but I'm back living at my parents' to save up for a mortgage deposit. Hoping to move out again early in the new year. Still working at the same place but will be making some changes in 2018 if everything goes to plan!

Hope everything's good with you. Looks like your training is going well. I'm going to try and keep my log updated and keep up with the few that are left in the forum.

(Created a new log-in because I lost my old details)

Yes do let me know. Moving back home is no shame and seriously turbo charges your savings and if you are close with family can be lovely for a time. Glad to hear you have great things on the cards! Also, good to know you will be posting to log again.

I was JUST about to start once more but had a kind of up and down week this week as start was GREAT and very strong, but yesterday was a tad crappy and today is a NO GO at all thanks to missus giving me a form a of weak manflu where I feel fien to do things but joint aches and no motivation to train (and I know with me that means knock it on the head or regret it!).

Also, due to commitments tomorrow I planned this week Mon to Fri five gym days so due to schedule of last week that would of meant 7 training days in a row - think this has crippled me a touch too - so knocking today, pull day, on the head and will have a clear 2 day rest up before starting back Monday.

Suffice to say, since coming back to the 5 day over the 6 day split (hitting everything twice a week over three times a week) I have felt much better... i must stop trying to be greedy as I was doing the best I have ever done strength wise before chucking in the 7 weeks or so of 6 day splits before burning out using the 5 day split.
    Accepting online clients, get in touch! Read my training log. .:. The ONLY supplements you need

Disclaimer:
    All posts on these forums are for information and discussion purposes only and solely the views of the forum member who posted. No posts constitute or replace medical advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All advice is followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research or doctors advice.

James is a Global Moderator.

First session back today, still not feeling too great, annoyingly weights took a hit despite only having 4 days off training. Going to do a forced ramp cycle this week and next due to strength - 90% of regular weights this week, 95% next week then back to normal (or more, who knows!) the week after - then deload as per usual week 4.

Lower Body Strength (weights at 90% of recent load)

Squats 3 x 3-5, RPE 8-9
    140 x 4, 4, 4 @ RPE 8, 8, 8

Deadlift 3 x 3-5, RPE 8-9
    190 x 3, 180 x 4, 4 @ RPE 9, 8 8

Barbell Side Lunges 3 x 5-7, RPE 6-7
    80 x 5, 7, 7 @ RPE 5, 6.5, 6.5

Leg Extension 3 x 6-8, RPE 7-8
    125 x 6, 6, 6 @ RPE 8, 8, 8

Calf Raise Machine 4 x 6-8, RPE 7-8
    160 x 6, 6, 6, 6 @ RPE 7, 7, 7.5, 7.5

Diet wise, for those interested: Roughly walking at least 12 miles a week to gym, in town etc (no car or public transport use) atop of five gym sessions and pottering about.

Average fortnight weight - 86.6k
    BMR - 1855
    Harris Benedict modifier - 1.675 (think may need to raise soon)

Calories - 3320 (set for 1% total body weight gain a month)
    Protein - 173 (2g for every per kilo of bodyweight)
    Fats - 111 (30% of total calorie intake)
    Carbs - 409 (remainder of calories remaining after protein and fat set)
    Last edited by James; 10-10-2017 at 06:55 PM.
    Accepting online clients, get in touch! Read my training log. .:. The ONLY supplements you need

Disclaimer:
    All posts on these forums are for information and discussion purposes only and solely the views of the forum member who posted. No posts constitute or replace medical advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All advice is followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research or doctors advice.

Had the last month pretty bitty training thanks to illness, joint aches, stomach bug and what not - ended up switching to 5 days a week as was mentally and physically burning out a bit - am now back at 4 days a week (albeit splitting over the same volume as 5 day split but with one less session!), although my right knee has been really playing up so squating and leg extensions have been pretty much a no go.

Will be hoping to be back to being able to perform quad dominant work as of next Monday.

Dropped back weights around 10% on everything and upped calories another hundred (to 3420 a day) at around 87.5k bodyweight, weights are starting to fly back up as I am focusing on hitting a lower RPE and perfect isolation and form.
    sullyjones likes this.

Disclaimer:

How's it going buddy?

Not bad bud, knees and neck still a bit screwed.

Weight around 87.5-88k

Training this week so far:-

Monday - Lower Body Strength
    Squat - 140 x 4, 3, 3 painful on knee so not going crazy
    Deadlift - 190 x 3, 3, 3 felt a bit blown out today
    Barbell Side Lunge - 85 x 5, 5, 5
    Leg Extension - Left out as right knee ache still
    Leg Curl - 34 x 8, 8, 8
    Horizontal Leg Press Calf Raise - 176 x 8, 8, 8
    Seated Calf Raise - 55 x 8, 8, 8

Tuesday - Upper Body Strength
    Bench Press - 110 x 3, 4, 4, 4, 3
    Seated Row - 105 x 6, 6, 5, 5
    Overhead Press - 65 x 7, 7, 7, 5
    Chin Up - 120 x 6, 6, 6
    Weighted Dip - 120 x 10, 10, 10
    Preacher Curl - 40 x 6, 30 x 8, 8 finding weight with these, new exercise brought back in
    Triceps Straight Bar Cable Push Down - 48 x 12, 12, 12
    Cable Face Pull - 63.5 x 13, 12

Did paired sets for dips/chins and preacher curls/tricep push downs - that is, like an agnostic superset, but with a minute break between the exercises - the theory is that the elasticity energy build-up of training opposite muscle groups is beneficial to both intra-set recovery as well as acute exercise strength - also allows more work load in lesser time.

Sessions are taking just under 2 hours I'd say, using 3 minute rests on compounds and 2-3 on isolation (1-2 minute between paired sets), routine is basically taking the exercise and volume selection of the 3DMJ 5 day bodybuilding plan (from the strength pyramid book) but restructuring into 4 days - am termpted to strip back some exercises in the new year and simply up sets and reps for a more basic structure - thought I would just give their structure a go as after my 14 year of training passes shifting things up to try and still eek out the mass (although think my below average genetics are still resistant as ever! Will solider on regardless!).
    Last edited by James; 16-11-2017 at 11:54 AM.
    chill9 likes this.

Disclaimer:

MP Senior

Man thats some serious volume, I think I would actually die trying to get through all that. Have you thought about using myo reps on the isolation and accessory stuff, might help shorten down the sessions a tad

Yeah, the paired sets help a lot - down to around 75-90 minute sessions now, training this week - as I cannot be bothered to post end of last weeks:-

Weight around 87.5-88k

Tuesday - Lower Body Strength
    Squat - 140 x 3, 4, 4 - knee feeling tender but MUCH nearer normal, finally
    Deadlift - 190 x 4, 4, 4
    Barbell Side Lunge - 95 x 6, 5, 5 - miscounted 85k as 95k, oh well went fine!
    Leg Extension - 75 x 8, 12, 12 knee not sore at all after first light set, light pump work - BURN!
    Leg Curl - 37 x 6, 6, 6
    Horizontal Leg Press Calf Raise - 186.5 x 7, 7, 7
    Seated Calf Raise - 55 x 8, 8, 9

Wednesday - Upper Body Strength
    Bench Press - 110 x 5, 5, 4, 4, 4
    Seated Row - 105 x 6, 6, 6, 6
    Overhead Press - 65 x 7, 7, 6, 6 - hard today
    Chin Up - 120 x 7, 6, 6
    Weighted Dip - 120 x 12, 10, 10 - also bit hard
    Preacher Curl - 30 x 9, 8, 8 - burn
    Triceps Straight Bar Cable Push Down - 52.5 x 12, 9, 9
    Cable Face Pull - 63.5 x 15, 12

Solid sessions, pushed back as didn't train Monday due to inadequate sleep Sunday night. Happy that compounds are coming back up after I forced deloaded the weights back down and worked back up linear periodisation style - just a shame squats took a real beating thanks to knee pain from a while back when I had flu-like symptoms, although the lingering right knee pain is almost now gone.

Am hitting hypertrophy lower body later on today, so will see how it goes aches and pain wise there.

Looking back at photos, I am roughly around the same bodyfat but 7k heavier than back in 2012 when I first moved abroad, don't have measurements from back then (although I don't think the changes are that dramatic, despite the weight changes, somehow?) but pretty happy.

Still on the long slog to try and gain as much mass as possible, although am getting ichy feet to start a dedicated strength training cycle - may see in the new year - think it is because a few of my clients of recent have been going great guns nationally with powerlifting, and obviously it would be nice (easier) to measure strength gains over mass gains at my stage of training career (just!).

Disclaimer:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread Information