1. Welcome to the Myprotein Community & Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Default SAS Training Journal

Bounced

Well, we would all like to think we could be James Bond, or join the SAS. [ OK maybe not all of us, but most!]

Well I am not actually going to join the SAS: although even civilians can try: http://www.army.mod.uk/uksf/special_.../sas/index.htm

[I don't reccommend messing these dudes around, trust me they will pysically destroy you if they think you are there for the "glamour" and "James Bond Lifestyle".] Unless you can swim 500 metres, run 5 miles in 40 minutes, get to level 11 on a bleep test, and have a desire to be beasted over a 12 month period of selection, i wouldn't even click the link.

Anyway I recently brought Chris Ryans SAS Fitness book. It is quite an interesting read. Not a majorly technical book, but breaks down everything into "beginner" "Intermediate" and "pyscho" [Pyscho being a similar training program Chris Ryan did whilst serving with 22 SAS]

So In the book he claims that following his program can change your physique dramatically in 12 weeks. He provides photographic evidence. [ He actually put on a shed load of weight via the process of Mcdonalds dieting, and lost it using his program- great PR, but can it really work for the "average" guy in the street, who has to sit behind a desk all day]

Well I am going to put it to the test.

I am going to go in at the intermiedate level, as I have been working out now for about 12 weeks, and have built a foundation level of strength and fitness.
    This will also fit in with my available time.

Please rememeber this training plan is not a body building plan. It is a strength and endurance/ stamina building plan, which in all honesty fits more in line with my overall goals.

So below is from the book. [ So if you don't like it, i cannot change it, and you can tell Chris Ryan he is wrong: He might come "pop a cap" in your ass though! He looks like a mean Mo Fo]

Weights

Day1
    Chest, Arms, Abs

Day 3

Legs and Abs

Day 5

Back, Shoulders, and Abs

Chest:
    Bench Press 4x 10
    incline bench press 4 x 10
    dumb bell flyes 4 x 10

Arms
    standing cable curls 4 x 10
    Incline dumb bell curls 4 x 10
    cable rope push downs 4 x 10
    tricep kick backs 4 x 10 [ i hate these ]

Legs
    Squats 4 x 10
    leg extensions 4 x 10
    lying leg curls 4 x 10

Back
    wide grip pull downs 4 x 10
    one arm dumb bell rows 4 x 10
    seated cable rows 4 x 10

Shoulders
    seated dumb bell press 4 x 10
    lateral raise 4 x 10
    bent over laterals 4 x 10 [ never done these before...,i am guessing a light weight to start with]

Abdominals

Sit ups 4 x maximum [ I will do these on an incline: he doesn't reccommend that, but sit ups are boring, and i could do about 50-60 on a flat surface. The 45 degree incline reduces it to about 25,15,10,10]
    Leg raises [hanging] 4 x maximum

75 seconds rest periods between sets. Each session weight to be slightly increased.

With regards cardio work out. There are some options. I am going with the running option, as i believe that is the best overall fitness builder for me.

Cardio

Level 2 [intermediate] requires 2 hours running time a week. [ If i went with the cycling option it would be 3 hours]

Day 2

45 minute run. This will be circa 5 miles, outside

Day 4

45 minute run, outside

Day 6

30 minute run outside.

Diet

Well Chris Ryan isn't exactly Gordon Ramsey, so the diet info is pretty basic, without any really good meal plans. The general idea is plenty of protein, limit the fat intake, and don't eat carbs late at night etc. Also keep hydrated always. So as much water as you can drink as often as possible. No reccommendation, but i will be aiming for 4 litres of plain old water a day.

Basically I have a complete carb intolerance. I only have to look at a potato, and i will put on torso insulation, so the plan is as follows:

Low carb days will be 1, 3 and 5. I am no expert in food, and it can be difficult to plan this if you are not just cooking for yourself, but i will aim for Protein 50% Fats 30% Carbs 20%

High carb days will be 2, 4 and 6. These are the cardio days. Carbs will be eaten earlier in the day, or a few hours before running. Protein 50% Fats 20%carbs 30%

Alcohol is not banned. It is just not reccommended. And a reminder that if you do drink you need to factor those calories into your diet, and not cut out meals to allow for another couple of pints of beer.

I will continue my current drinking pattern which is infrequent, and moderate. Less than 10 units a week.

I will be starting day 1 tomorrow. I will update this pretty much daily, and will be documenting weights over the coming weeks. This will be a 12 week journal. I shall get my girlfriend to take a few photos as starting points tomorrow.

Michael
    Soon to be SAS Fit ??
    Last edited by Michael_Webb; 19-06-2007 at 12:01 AM.
    <Obligatory 5% Discount Code Here: MP20769>

In training for 70.3 ironman 2008
    Qualified Gym Instructor

Looks good, although I would have thought there would be more body weigh exercises such as press-ups, dips, pull-ups, chin-ups etc. as opposed to all that!

Good luck though
    Quote Quote
    When you eat the foods your body is made for (Paleo foods) in a framework that your body is made for (feast-fast, such as IF), it all works beautifully.
    MP573 for 5% discount off all products!!
    Bounced

They are all in the book. Aswell as loads of other exercises. I have just copied his example weekly workout. I will probably chuck in some pull ups, and press ups, as i think these are solid exercises.

Alot come in to play in level 3 [ advanced ] You pretty much start hitting each body part really hard, with about 4 or 5 exercises, plus 3 hours running a week. Too intense for me at present.

MP Veteran

Make is the SBS routine.

SBS are too hard to boast how hard they are, so you never hear about them.
    High Fat Diet Sucks

Disclaimer: All posts on these forums are for information and discussion purposes only and solely the views of the forum member who posted. No posts constitute or replace medical advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All advice is followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research or doctors advice.

Ripped Barbarian is a Supplements & Training and Diet Moderator.
    Bounced

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Make is the SBS routine.

SBS do the same selection as the SAS, then go onto do their own selection after. So in theory they are tougher. In reality they are just not as good at PR as the SAS. Lets be honest, you wouldn't want to go up against either of them; and both make the Navy Seals/ Green Berets/ Delta Force look like the local scout group!!

Bounced

Just a further note regards Diet:

I will be continuing with the following supplements.

5g Creatine pre-work out. Same time of day on non workout days.

Whey protein as part of my daily protein intake. Pre work out 2 x MP large scoop in about 300 ml water

3 x 2 omega 3 caps daily

3x caffeine, and 3 x sida cordifolia daily Taken before meals.

I also have some leucine. Now for some reason this made me really lethargic, so I stopped taking it. I will try this again. Probably take during workout.

simon m
    Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by Michael_Webb View Post
    SBS do the same selection as the SAS, then go onto do their own selection after. So in theory they are tougher. In reality they are just not as good at PR as the SAS. Lets be honest, you wouldn't want to go up against either of them; and both make the Navy Seals/ Green Berets/ Delta Force look like the local scout group!!
    Navy Seals are not pussys.
    CoN
    The General Mod

yeah, tell a seal that.. see how much exercise you can do after your finished

will keep an eyes on this anyways, seems interesting
    Use Coupon MP15287 For 5% Off Your 1st Order

Carbs "Burn Them Or Wear Them"

Disclaimer: All posts on these forums are for information and discussion purposes only and solely the views of the forum member who posted. No posts constitute or replace medical advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All advice is followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research or doctors advice.
    CoN is a General Forum Moderator.
    ** Senior

Quote Quote
    Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Make is the SBS routine.

The SBS is much more difficult to join than the SAS. The only reason the SAS got as much publicity was because of the iranian embassy rescue in 1980.

SBS training includes staying at the bottom of a harbour in full diving gear for 24 hours at a time. Jumping off a high dive in full kit blindfolded etc these are all psychological tests more than physical. The drawback is that most of them end up recluse or mentally ill that is if they dont commit suicide first. Highest divorce rate in the forces is in the special forces. I would prefer to be a civi.

Good luck with this Michael, I'm interested to see how it goes.
    Subscribed...
    Why not use MP28849 for a 5% discount off your first order?
    You might like it.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information